Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mummy and Daddy Come to Scotland

Let me preface this blog with the fact that I have an exam Saturday (as in two days) so instead of figuring out why the political value of sport has never been higher, I have decided to procrastinate. Mom and dad: Of course I already know the answer and have a well prepared outline.
Speaking of my mom and dad, I have to say seeing them made me homesick and happy all at once. I forgot how nice it is to eat meals consisting of more than toast and butter noodles, as well as being able to order something besides the cheapest thing off the menu (garlic bread). So it was a like being on even more of a vacation than I already was. My parents stayed at this really pretty old building that used to be a high school but is now a hotel. While it is beautiful, it was also on the way to the castle. Translation= hotel was uphill. Everytime I went to meet my parents I would be huffing by the time I knocked on their room. I looked great I'm sure for seeing them for the first time in 2 months. But they welcomed me in red faced and all and instead of giving me some salad and water, they brought me some kraft mac n' cheese. Of course I was more than happy to have my beloved blue box of good flavor, but I'm beginning to think that perhaps scientists are on to something when they say to eat healthy...who knew? So I took my parents out to dinner (well they took me out, but it was my choice of restaurant...) at a really traditional scottish restaurant. It was really cute and we immediately ordered beer and wine and appetizers. I have to say I have really started to love the soups here. My parents were clearly exhausted and jet lagged so after a quick bite I sent them on the way and trekked down the immense mountain to the bus. Now if you know me, you know I love sleep. However, I know my parents like to get up early so me being the considerate daughter that I am, I called my parents at 10 am. Well, for the first time ever, they were asleep. Apparently jet lag lasts more the 4 hours. Shocking. So I let them get back to bed and I happily followed suit. We had a ton of fun eating, shopping, more eating, my dad drinking while my mom and I went shopping. I took them to the Stirling castle, to which my dad replied, "is there a steak and beer there?" So were not your historical family, whatchya gonna do?
The highlight of the trip was when we decided to go on an 8 hour car trip around Scotland. So we set off in the car, Mom, Dad, Kacey and myself, to see all scotland has to offer. Now, if you do not know the rules of the scotland, you are not alone, neither does my dad...our driver. Just kidding! He did a really good job, besides going the wrong way in a roundabout (almost died), hitting a sharp curb, and not listening to the GPS navigator ("Please exit the roundabout. Exit the roundabout now. EXIT THE ROUNDABOUT!"). But I cannot do better so I cannot complain. I cannot explain the breath-taking mountains, valleys, sheep, streams, and Lochs that we passed on the car ride. It really made me appreciate the views and landscapes. The car ride was exciting, but I feel like it may be a while before I hop back in a car for 8 hours in a foreign country.
For the last night, my parents pulled out all the stops. My dad surprised me by buying an early birthday present since I will not be able to see them on my birthday. He picked out a beautiful necklace with silver flowers that are only found in scotland. I was crying because my dad had picked it out for me, his little girl. I really thought it was beautiful, but I guess my dad didn't know that right before I left, my mom bought me a cross necklace that I love (yeah...we kind of kept that one a secret...) So we decided we would look for a ring together the next morning. I am currently wearing the rings we picked out together and they constantly remind me of my two loves: Scotland and my family. Saying goodbye to my parents was incredibly difficult. I am so happy they got to share Scotland with me and got to see how happy I am here. After entertaining all my friends and family, it was time for me to be entertained...off to Italy for SPRING BREAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment